Sunday 10 July 2011

And so, into France

Yesterday I ommittedto mention that I had left the Czech republic and had ridden into Germany, I guess that most of you would have realised that when I said that I was in Nurnburg. Well today I left Germany and I am now in France (only by about 200mts as the Formule 1 I am stopping in is literally as you cross the Rhine from germany into France)


I managed to get a little wet again today, whats new, I could see some clouds gathering, and I went though a few spots of rain, then, about 500mts in front of me I could see the traffic braking, and that the road surface was very wet. I had arrived at the edge of a some pretty heavy rain. As I was on the autobahn I did not have the option of stopping to kit up, but had to ride through it. To be fair it only lasted a few minutes, but is suprising how wet you get at 90mph.


The rain did ease back to spots and I pulled into a rest place (lay-by) and I did get the waterproofs on, I was glad I did, because it rained heavy again for the last 30 mins to the hotel.


I decided to have some music today and one of the tracks that belted out was Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen, well, I did not think I would see my own sample so soon after arriving in Strasbourg. Its been a time since I have seen someone with a pair of boobs on her back as well. Sorry, uncalled for!



One place I will not be going tomorrow in Strasbourg is up the tower of the cathedral....I have been told that the tower is 142 mts high and that there are 332 steps up to the first level, my thighs have started complaining just thinking about all those steps. This, I am afraid, is one tower too far.



The cathedral is very hard to photograph due to its height and the proximity of the other buildings, but it sure is a stunning sight. It is amazing to stand at the bottom of the tower and look up, makes you feel dizzy so I don't know what it would be like from the top looking down. One thing I will be doing is taking a tour on one of the boats that travel around the town, like the one below (if its sunny) or a covered one. For 9 euro you get a 70 minute trip complete with commentry on all the places that you pass. The cruise takes in the Imperial district, Petite France, which is all the old half timbered builings and even the European district which is where the European Parliment sits. I just hope that it is a nice day tomorrow.




I've worked out the route into town via the bus and tram system so I am all set. I must admit I love the european tram systems, I think they are great, and every sytstem I have used has been so easy and clean.
Sorry its short today, but most of today was spent riding.






No comments:

Post a Comment