Sunday 3 July 2011

What a bloody awful day!

Well last nights room at Bojnice left a little to be desired, although brand new. It was a room in a block that had just been built on top of an existing block and it is apparent that it has not quite been finished yet, The main problem being that there were no curtains or blinds over the windows, not really a major problem as the builing is quite high up and there is no way anyone can see into the room, but as daylight starts at about 5am I thought it would be a little bright. Having said all that, it was not so bad and I slept till about 6.30am. I suppose it was no worse than being in the tent really, except I was dry and warm.
Started out today, yet again in light drizzle, for Olomouc, in the Czech republic. Well, it started as light drizzle, but within the hour it was getting decidingly wet. After about one and a half hours my sense of humour was going very quickly. I seem to have a problem with the visor on my helmet, in that it does not shed the water, it just seems to sit as a smear across the visor no matter how much I wipe it. In fact the rain had got so heavy and the visor so bad that it was dangerous for me to continue, I could barely make out the shapes of cars in front of me...it really was that bad. I fact I decided that I could not continue at all as the rain was sheeting down so I managed to pull onto a garage forecourt to wait out the very heavy rain.
By now I was into the Czech republic, and you can probally guess, I had none of the local currency, so I could not even buy a hot chocolate to warm up, the temperature by the way was a chilly 12 degrees, what have I got to do to get a little warm weather?
All I could do was break out my emergency can of Red Bull and wait for the worse of the rain to pass.
Pass it eventually did, so off goes I again, following the directions of the GPS. Turn left in 250mts, which I do onto a new road, recalculating she says for the next 14km until I could turn off....I must update my mapping.
Eventually I reach my hotel for the night, and I can see why its only cost about £22.00, its as if I have moved back into the days when communists ran Czechoslavakia. The room has 2 single beds and a double put-u-up plus ancient cheap wooden furniture, and would you believe, a wash basin in the bathroom that overhangs the bath/shower! A very strange set up.....but at least it is dry and warm, and its only for one night as tomorrow I move on to a Penzion in Hostinne, north of Prague for 2 nights.
I just hope that it is dry tonmorrow....please!!!!
I have, for the first time, turned to the West, so I feel that I am on my way home now. Chris, you have less than 2 weeks of peace and quiet left so prepare yourself.
To cap it all, my phone, although set to auto search, cannot find a phone line provider, so for the 1st time I am out of contact.
You will notice that there are no photos today, the reason being, nothing worth photographing..sorry, I hope for better tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. hello Nicky, Sorry it has been such a bad day for you. Thank God you are ok and now in the warm and dry. I feel guilty as I have had such a brilliant walk today along the coastal route and burger and chips at the Waterfall (my turn to be smug.)It is also about 20 degrees for once. I do not think this place will be on the 'must go there again' list. I keep hoping the sun will shine for you, it is up there somewhere. Love, Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete