Friday 1 July 2011

Why do my walks always go up?

I am afraid that there are no photos today as the internet seems to be on a go slow. I will try to download some a little later tonight after my mealand drink.
Today I got up and went down for breakfast and saw the best spread of food that I have seen yet on this trip. For once I was spoilt for choice so chose, what for me, is the best breakfast (after a full english of course) a bowl of cerial followed by a freshly chopped fruit salad. Banana, plums, kiwi, grapes and water melon finally drizzled with fresh honey, yum!
After that I washed the bike, the first time since Estonia, and boy, did she need it. The weather is still grey today but at least it is not raining, however the temperature is not good. I was told that it should be between 23 and 30 degrees at this time of the year, but today, a mere 15, where is that sun? Anyhow, as the weather is no good, instead of going for a ride I just went a short 10km to see a couple of cave complexes. When I got to the first one, lo and behold, the bike was filthy again due to the damp road and gravel, I ask myself, why do I bother.
The first cave I went to was the Demanovska Ice Cave. I parked in the car park and then found that I had to climb up a path to the enterance. The notice board told me that the path was 460mts long and rose 90 mts in height.The math tells me that that is a one in five incline, my thighs and lungs can confirm it. Chris always moans at me that all my walks go uphill, I can agree with her this time.
On reaching the top of the incline I found out that the tours are only every hour on the hour, I therefore had about 40 mins to wait.I did not even consider going back down and coming back....no chance.
The tour costs 7 euro and believe it or not they wanted another 10 euro to allow you to take photos, needless to say I did not pay that and I don't think many did, but plenty took photos.
The cave was very impressive, especially the part where the ice still lingers, the temperature inside was between 1 and 3 degrees constant, but the ice does not melt. I will try to load some photos of the ice, it is worth seeing.
The only down side was that the tour was in Slovakian, with no english spoken, however, there was a guide at the back of the group to deter stragglers and she did speak a little school english so at least I did find out a little.
The 2nd cave was a few kms further up the road, and was the Cave of Liberty. Again this involved a climb up from the car park, but not quite as steep. When I got to the top of this climb I heard a woman speak to a man in very accented english, but he answered in very plain english. I got talking to him and he told me that he named Dave and he was from Wisbich and that he had travelled to Slovakia with his girlfriend, Magda, in order to visit her family that lived nearby. Again, this meeting was very useful as Magda managed to translate for myself and Dave.
This cave was more of a conventional cave complex with the usual stalagmites and stalactites but the chambers in the cave were of a huge size. The walk inside the cave covered just over a km but there were over 900 steps involved, luckily not all of them were up, but again at the end my thighs were aching. the ambiant temperature inside this cave was between 7 and 9 degrees, so a little warmer.
Again, I did take some photos and I will try to load them later.
You may have noticed that there is no view from my balcony, well today I cannot even see the mountains as they are covered in low cloud, perhaps tomorrow eh!

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from the ancient kingdom, The pictures are amazing and remind me of the salt mine sculptures. Good place to be if the weather is not so good - and you will appreciate the temperature when you get out. You should be used to mist covered mountains. Nice to have a balcony anyway even if the view is a bit moody. Another interesting day for you. keep up the tales of the unexpected for us all back here. Love and kisses, Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete