Saturday 16 July 2011

Well, thats it, been there, done that!

Just to let you know that I got home in one piece, safe and well, mission completed.
I got up on Thursday morning to heavy rain again, got kitted up and rode from Gent to Brugge. Within 1 mile of the hotel I came to the first obstacle, the canal bridge I needed to cross was in the open position for the boats. I sat, rain running down my visor, as 1 boat went through, but the bridge failed to close, I sat, and sat and eventually, a huge barge, which appeared to be the length of a football pitch, came in the other direction up the canal. It finally went under the bridge then stared to make a turn in the wider mouth of the canal, I don't know if this delayed the bridge opening for traffic or what, but it was about another 10 minutes before the bridge swung shut and the traffic started flowing. It was then a reasonable run to Brugge although, once again, the Belgium motorways were a worry to me with the shear amount of water that they held in the ruts. I solved this by running in the wheel tracks of a coach which was pushing waves of water off the road with its tyres.
After reaching Brugge, it was into a cafe on the square where I had a hot drink and a chocolate and banana crepe, thats what I call a breakfast.
As it was still raining, and I saw little point in wandering around, I went into a Salvidor Dali exhibition, which I must say I found quite good. I know the regular Dali paintings but this opened my eyes to a different Dali. I was quite impressed, although, from his quotes on the wall I think he must have been a bit of an arse!
After another hot drink in a differant cafe I made my way to Zeebrugge for the ferry, I was very early but knew there was a cafe on site where I could at least keep dry and be in a position to get straight on the boat when the time arrived.
I got to the port and joined a group of about 15 wet bikers huddling under cover trying to keep out of the elements, great fun and a bit of a laugh really.
We were eventually allowed onto the ferry, and after a meal and a drink before sailing, the boat cast off about 20 minutes late, the captain warning that it would be a bit rough as there was a force 8 storm brewing, great!
As soon as we left the harbour the boat started rolling which was my sign to go to my cabin to lie down and read out of the way. I did not move again until 6am when I awoke to a calmer sea, washed, dressed and made breakfast.
After docking and leaving the boat, on a nice dry Friday morning, it was a nice drive across country to Liverpool where I met up with Chris for lunch and the eventual sailing back to the Isle of Man (and another rough crossing), and that is about it, journey over, and back to work first thing Saturday morning.

My total mileage for the trip was 3754 miles, I think I estimated 3700 miles before the trip so I was pretty close.
High points.......too many to mention really but I suppose, Stockholm, Tallinn, Hill of Crosses, Krakow, Auschwich and Birkenhau, the Salt Mine, the caves in Slovakia, Prague, of course, and Strasbourg.
Low points, only 2 really and both rain related, the day I rode into Riga in pouring rain and I must admit I was really down, and the other on the Sunday I rode into Olomouc, when I took shelter under the garage awning and I had no Czech money, what a bummer.
Even the tyre puncture was not really a down point, just a niggle which to be honest, you have got to expect on a journey, just a little obsticle.
Would I do it again? The same trip, No, another trip, too right I would. I have, on the whole had a great time, although like all trips its very nice to get home.
There are places that I have seen on this trip that I know Chris would like, so you never now, I may well see certain parts again, especially places like Prague, well worth a return visit. You never know, I may combine them with a visit to the Alps!
Once again, thankyou all for taking the time to read the blog, and making it worth my while writing it every day. I have had a lot of kind comments and I do appreciate them, thankyou.
That is it until the next trip that I make, so finally, from myself and Jed, Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment